Online Learning Survey Results
In May 2016 82 professionals with a background in accounting took part in a survey about their views on online training. The results of this survey are summarised here.
Of those replying to the survey 85% had previous experience of online learning while 15% did not.
Among all respondents there was a preference for online learning over other methods among about 1 in 4 of the group (23.2%). Classroom training was preferred by the largest number – nearly 2 in every 3 (64.6%).
Having a face-to-face interaction with an expert is clearly the preferred option but online is a serious alternative.
When asked how best to learn in the workplace a wide range of options were suggested:
Among those whose preferred option is online learning the reason for their choice is primarily convenience cited by 75% and flexibility cited by the remaining 25%. Convenience includes lack of travel time, ability to fit a person's own schedule, and the freedom to learn where and when it is suitable. Flexibility includes the being able to dictate the pace of learning, the time spent in each session and the number of times the topic is revisited. By far the most significant of these is the convenience of studying in your own time.
We also asked about the drawbacks of online learning and what makes it effective. Here are some of the most common responses:
|Easy to interrupted/distracted||Hands-on exercises and real-life case studies|
|Lack of interaction with instructor/participants||A good teacher|
|Can be dull/monotonous, lacks dynamism||Focused, concise and most importantly engaging|
|Shorty, digestible chunks, available for repeated use/download|
|Interaction with peers|
Among our group completion rates for online learning are good at 88.2%. The motivation of the group is perhaps significant with the main motivations, in approximately equal amounts, being:
- CPE/CPD credit
- Required by employer
- Personal interest/drive/quest for knowledge
When those who have not taken any online course were asked if they would take an online course of interest almost half said yes, the rest were unsure, none said no.
When asked for their Twitter details only 11 participants responded while 47 said they had no Twitter account.