IPSAS (Accruals Basis) - Essentials (online)
This course consists of 9 modules and is scheduled to run over 5 weeks. The course is led by an instructor who provides support both through a discussion forum and email.
Once the five-week period of instructor support has passed, you will continue to have access to the 9 modules to enable you to complete them at your own pace. You will have up to a year, if necessary, to pass the exams on each module and gain your certificates.
The course provides an overview of the most important requirements for preparing financial statements and disclosures under accrual based IPSAS. The program has been fully updated to follow the 2016 IPSAS Handbook and incorporates the latest standards issued in 2016.
The IPSAS accounting and disclosure requirements are explained in clear, simple language and illustrated with model financial statements and real-world examples. Application of the various standards is illustrated through the use of short case studies.
At a high level, this course answers questions such as:
- What are the requirements in terms of content and format for; the statement of financial position, the statement of financial performance, the statement of changes in net assets/equity, and the statement of cash flows?
- What are the key accrual accounting concepts, as well as key IPSAS recognition, measurement, presentation and disclosure requirements?
- How are IPSAS used in real-life IPSAS financial statements?
- How can the application of IPSAS impact your organization?
- What are the practical implications and challenges of an IPSAS conversion project?
IPSAS Essentials Online
Free Sampler Module
|Try before you buy|
IPSAS Online FAQ
This is a nine-module which covers:
- Introducing IPSASB: Why Converge Public Sector Accounting Practices?
- The IPSASB Conceptual Framework and Key Accrual Accounting Concepts
- Long-Term (Non-Current) Assets
- Current Assets
- Revenues and Expenses
- Financial Statements Fundamentals
- Provisions and Contingencies
- Financial Instruments Fundamentals
- Making the Transition to IPSAS
This is an online instructor-supported course. The instructor provides support both through a discussion forum and email.
The course is scheduled to run over 5 weeks and consists of 9 modules. You can take these in any order you like. Each module takes around 1-3 hours to complete and usually includes interactive lessons, a case study, a practice quiz and a final exam.
Each module will be examined separately and a Certificate of Completion provided once the exam for that module is passed. The pass mark is 70% and one re-take is permitted for each exam. On passing the final exam you will be awarded a CPE certificate for that module. Once all 9 modules have been completed you will also be awarded an IPSAS Essentials Certificate.
Once the 5 weeks with the instructor have been completed, you can continue to work on the ten modules and complete them at your own pace, gathering all ten certificates one at a time as you complete each module. You will have up to 1 year from the start date of the course to pass the exams, if necessary.
All course content may be accessed through any device: desktop, laptop, tablet or smartphone so you can learn whenever and wherever you wish.
IPSAS Essentials Online
Free Sampler Module
|Try before you buy|
Understanding of basic accounting principles based on any national standards in the public sector. No advance preparation is required for this course.
- Understand the requirements in terms of content and format for the statement of financial position, the statement of financial performance, the statement of changes in net assets/equity, and the statement of cash flows.
- Appreciate the requirements in terms of content and format for; the statement of financial position, the statement of financial performance, the statement of changes in net assets/equity, and the statement of cash flows.
- Understand all key accrual accounting concepts, as well as key IPSAS recognition, measurement, presentation and disclosure requirements.
- Learn how IPSAS are used/applied in real-life IPSAS financial statements.
- Understand how the application of IPSAS can impact your organization/entity.
- Grasp the practical implications and challenges of an IPSAS conversion project.
Who should attend?
Participants who require a high level overview and awareness of the core IPSAS accruals based standards including:
- Finance and accounting managers of public sector entities considering to adopt IPSAS
- Government officials and project managers responsible for IPSAS transition
- Accountants and finance staff of public sector entities and similar agencies (e.g. UN) in the process of adopting IPSAS
- Accountants and finance staff moving from private to public sector environments
- Operations mangers of public entities needing an awareness of public sector financial reporting
- Internal auditors of entities that have adopted IPSAS or are in the process of doing so
- Accounting practitioners, consultants and external auditors
- Analysts of public sector entities
- Our eLearning courses are designed to allow online interaction with our expert instructors, while covering the same content as our highly popular live training courses.
Caroline Pontoppidan is an experienced educator and researcher based in Denmark and specializing in International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and other international accounting and auditing issues. Since finalizing her Ph.D. in auditing, she has carried out research on the development of public sector accounting at the global level as well as providing training services for various public sector entities on International Standards of Auditing (ISA) as well as on the interpretation and application of IPSAS. Caroline previously spent 3 years in Japan teaching and researching emerging accounting and auditing issues, and she also worked for a United Nations agency for eight years. Recently Caroline has been expanding on her work into the area of companies reporting on Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), integrated reporting practices and materiality assessments of CSR reports.
To bring this course in-house please contact us and we will be pleased to assist