IPSAS (Accruals Basis) - Basics (online)
This online course on IPSAS provides an overview of the most important requirements for preparing financial statements and disclosures under accrual based IPSAS. The program has been fully updated to follow the 2016 IPSAS Handbook and incorporates the latest standards issued in 2016.
The IPSAS accounting and disclosure requirements are explained in clear, simple language and illustrated with model financial statements and real-world examples. Application of the various standards is illustrated through the use of short case studies.
At a high level, this course answers questions such as:
- What are the requirements in terms of content and format for; the statement of financial position, the statement of financial performance, the statement of changes in net assets/equity, and the statement of cash flows?
- What are the key accrual accounting concepts, as well as key IPSAS recognition, measurement, presentation and disclosure requirements?
- How are IPSAS used in real-life IPSAS financial statements?
- How can the application of IPSAS impact your organization?
- What are the practical implications and challenges of an IPSAS conversion project?
This is a ten-module which covers:
- Introducing IPSASB: Why Converge Public Sector Accounting Practices?
- The IPSASB Conceptual Framework and Key Accrual Accounting Concepts
- Long-Term (Non-Current) Assets
- Current Assets
- Revenues and Expenses
- Financial Statements Fundamentals
- Employee Benefits, Social Benefits, and Other Liabilities
- Provisions and Contingencies
- Financial Instruments Fundamentals
- Making the Transition to IPSAS
This is an online instructor-led course. It has a modular form and you can take the modules in any order you like. Each module includes interactive lessons, a case study, practice and final exams and, on passing the final exam you, will be awarded a CPE certificate. Once all 10 modules have been completed you will also be awarded an IPSAS Basics Certificate.
The course instructor is available for discussion in the forum at any time but is also available for a weekly live video conference question and answer session.
All course content may be accessed through any device: desktop, laptop, tablet or smartphone so you can learn whenever and wherever you wish.
Watch a short course demonstration
Understanding of basic accounting principles based on any national standards in the public sector. No advance preparation is required for this course.
- Understand the requirements in terms of content and format for the statement of financial position, the statement of financial performance, the statement of changes in net assets/equity, and the statement of cash flows.
- Appreciate the requirements in terms of content and format for; the statement of financial position, the statement of financial performance, the statement of changes in net assets/equity, and the statement of cash flows.
- Understand all key accrual accounting concepts, as well as key IPSAS recognition, measurement, presentation and disclosure requirements.
- Learn how IPSAS are used/applied in real-life IPSAS financial statements.
- Understand how the application of IPSAS can impact your organization/entity.
- Grasp the practical implications and challenges of an IPSAS conversion project.
Who should attend?
Participants who require a high level overview and awareness of the core IPSAS accruals based standards including:
- Finance and accounting managers of public sector entities considering to adopt IPSAS
- Government officials and project managers responsible for IPSAS transition
- Accountants and finance staff of public sector entities and similar agencies (e.g. UN) in the process of adopting IPSAS
- Accountants and finance staff moving from private to public sector environments
- Operations mangers of public entities needing an awareness of public sector financial reporting
- Internal auditors of entities that have adopted IPSAS or are in the process of doing so
- Accounting practitioners, consultants and external auditors
- Analysts of public sector entities
- Our eLearning courses are designed to allow online interaction with our expert instructors, while covering the same content as our highly popular live training courses.
Isabelle Andernack is a French Chartered Accountant (Diplômée d’expertise comptable) and Financial Auditor (Commissaire aux comptes), and a Member of the French financial analysts’ institution (Société française des analystes financiers SFAF). She has some 20 years of professional experience in both the private and public sectors, including such activities as training, accounting, and managing the transition to new accounting systems. She also has significant experience in planning and implementation of an organization's transition to International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS). Isabelle has worked on many high-profile accounting and audit training and consulting engagements in the public and private sectors. For example, she has recently been implementing an ERP (enterprise resource planning) system for an international organization where she had previously led the conversion from cash accounting to accrual accounting under IPSAS, in order to improve its management and long-term financial and business strategy. Isabelle, who is fluent in English and French, is also a lecturer at Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne University and at CFAF (Training Centre for Financial Analysts). She is the author of "L'essentiel des IFRS", a book on the essentials of IFRS with a foreword by Philippe Danjou, Board Member of the International Accounting Standards Board (IASB), and together with Caroline Pontoppidan has co-authored “Interpretation and Application of IPSAS” which has been published by Wiley.
To bring this course in-house please contact us and we will be pleased to assist