IFRS Essentials (20 days, online)
International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRSs) are the world’s most widely applied accounting standards. More than 130 countries now require or permit the use of IFRSs. Over 7,000 public companies in the European Union have complied with IFRSs since 2005. Some other jurisdictions have either converged their national standards with IFRSs or are committed to convergence.
This online overview course is designed to guide you step-by-step through important IFRS technical issues. We explain the principles clearly and simply and provide real-world examples. Our specialist instructors also help delegates with the practicalities of implementation.
The program also includes an overview of the requirements for first-time adoption of IFRSs.
The course answers questions such as:
- What are the current IFRS requirements?
- When will upcoming changes be effective, and what impact will these have on financial statement presentation, disclosures and financial performance reports?
- What issues are involved in moving from existing GAAP to IFRSs?
- Which accounting standards allow alternative treatments when preparing IFRS financial statements?
- International Accounting Standards Board (IASB) – structure and work program
- IFRS Financial Statements: Presentation and Disclosure
- Presentation of financial statements (IAS 1)
- Statement of cash flows (IAS 7)
- Accounting policies, changes in accounting estimates and errors (IAS 8)
- Events after the reporting period (IAS 10)
- Operating segments (IFRS 8)
- Non-current assets held for sale and discontinued operations (IFRS 5)
- Inventories (IAS 2)
- Property, plant and equipment (IAS 16)
- Borrowing costs (IAS 23)
- Intangible assets (IAS 38)
- Impairment of assets (IAS 36)
- Employee benefits (IAS 19)
- Provisions, contingent liabilities and contingent assets (IAS 37)
- Share-based payment (IFRS 2)
- Financial Instruments
- Presentation (IAS 32)
- Recognition and measurement (IAS 39 and IFRS 9)
- Disclosures (IFRS 7)
- Revenue (IAS 18 and IFRS 15)
- Group Accounting
- Consolidated financial statements (IFRS 10)
- Business combinations (IFRS 3)
- First-time Adoption of IFRSs (IFRS 1)
- Online learning
- Review of the rationale and objective for IFRS standards
- Description and explanation of IFRS technical requirements in clear and simple language
- Use of financial statements and real-world examples to illustrate practical application of the standards
- Download the user guide (PDF)
Understanding of basic accounting principles based on any national standards. No advance preparation is required for this course.
- Explain how the recognition and measurement principles of the IASB’s Conceptual Framework apply to the key accounting standards
- Apply the requirements of the standards to prepare IFRS-compliant financial statements
- Identify an appropriate accounting policy for a given accounting issue and suggest necessary disclosures
Who should attend?
- Accountants needing to improve or refresh their knowledge of current IFRSs
- Advisors or non-executive directors wishing to improve their understanding of accounting
- Consultants and systems professionals needing to understand accounting issues when developing solutions for clients
CPE / CPD Accreditation
ICAEW Partner in Learning
IASeminars is proud to have been named as an ICAEW Partner in Learning, working together to offer the ICAEW IFRS Certificate to our clients worldwide. ICAEW (The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales) is a world leading professional membership organisation that promotes, develops and supports over 145,000 chartered accountants worldwide. CPE certificates obtained from attending IASeminars courses are an ideal way for ICAEW members and others to demonstrate their continuing professional development, provided that the topic is relevant to their learning and development needs.
- Our eLearning courses are designed to allow online interaction with our expert instructors, while covering the same content as our highly popular live training courses.
Bill Kemp (UK) is IASeminars' Senior Instructor and a consultant specialising in International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and the comparison of such standards with UK, US and Canadian Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). He has delivered many public and in-house training courses around the world to a diverse audience from sectors including government and non-profit, financial services, retail, real estate, oil & gas, telecoms, and IT. An experienced educator, he was formerly Managing Director of a major London financial training company. Bill's work also includes training and consulting on financial statement analysis and business valuation, and he teaches on the International Accounting MSc programme of the London School of Economics. He is a UK chartered accountant, and was educated at the Edinburgh Academy and at Oxford University.
To bring this course in-house please contact us and we will be pleased to assist